Monday 1 July 2013

Crows On My Terrace

The terrace of my building is my instant getaway. One flight of stairs up and I am out in an open space so rare in the city of Mumbai. A breath of fresh air, a wider view of the space around and a partial view of the sea across between the buildings, can be considered a luxury in the city. Although this terrace is not my private space, it is not frequently used by the other occupants of the building and I have made it my own.

 I climb up the stairs at least twice a day, morning and evening. An early morning cup of tea on the terrace when I feed the pigeons is my private time when most members of my family are still in bed and I enjoy my personal blend of tea which only I like in my family. So while I enjoy the tea and observe the pigeons having their first meal of the day, the sun rises slowly from behind the distant buildings and the noise of the traffic below in the street slowly becomes louder. It is during this time that I collect my thoughts and ponder over my dreams of the previous night while I prepare myself for the impending day ahead.

In the evening after officially the day is over I go up to the terrace once again this time to cool off so to say, depending on how the world has treated me through the day. I usually water the plants I have kept on the terrace at that time, my personal patch of garden so to say. I also fill water in a pot which I have kept on the parapet wall for the birds to drink water from. The birds mostly comprise of noisy crows and my group of pigeons. I have some proud moments sometimes when I am rewarded with a flower or two from my Hibiscus or Jasmine plant. A consolation prize for someone like me who would have liked to have a farm of my own and I have in the past tended small private gardens while living in small towns where my father often got posted often while serving with the Central Govt. Sometimes I also use that time to take a brisk walk if I have not had my normal share of the day’s exercise régime. As I walk I watch the sun going down the sea behind the buildings and observe the changing hues in the evening sky. This part of the evening often ends when I sit on the parapet wall and hum some of my old favourite Hindi film songs. Slowly the darkness descends in the sky and the shimmering lights of the city come on.

There are many kinds of birds which frequent the trees around my building including sparrows, mynahs, bulbuls, koyals and on some rare occasions woodpeckers. Pigeons and crows are the permanent inhabitants of the area and they are in abundance. These pigeons and crows have their own territories which are normally a building or a set of buildings, its terraces and the surrounding trees. My own building has its own set of crows and pigeons; pigeons whom I feed in the morning and the crows that cackle through the day and drink water from the pot I keep for them. For their food they are on their own, scavenging in the surrounding area but for water they come to their own watering hole on my terrace.

Pigeons live peacefully in the surrounding areas while the crows as always are flying around and making noise all the time with or without a valid reason. When I appear on the terrace in the morning or in the evening they would greet me with some noise and some unnecessary flights but then would settle down once they realise that they are not under any imminent danger from me and no one was transgressing their territory. But after my recent fortnight holiday with my family when I landed on my terrace I faced a hostile bunch of crows. While the pigeons took just a couple of days to settle down to an old routine the crows made it a long story. Not only did they start flying around me in a noisy way but some of them also attacked me physically pecking at me on my head. One particular crow became my personal enemy while others settled down in a supporting role.
                                                                                             
This particular crow looked old and cranky and I think very cynical (my perception!). Every time I appeared on the terrace it came swooping down from nowhere and tried to poke my head. Fortunately the damage was minimal due to the thick hair on my head.  But I had to seriously take evasive measures. First I thought that like the pigeons the crows too would settle down to the old ways and recognise their benefactor who religiously kept water for them to drink, no matter what season of the year it was. But no way; they had decided that some imposter had come into their territory instead of me and then it became a long fought battle particularly with that old cynical senior citizen (or so I thought!).

 So I had to pick up a few pebbles as a defense and throw at them every now and then to let them know that they cannot just attack me whenever they felt like. But my reflexes could not match up with theirs and this old gentleman or woman of a crow kept on swooping down on my head. Now that I was aware of their presence they could not bodily harm me. But what was hurting my ego was the fact that they did not give up their intention to hurt me and also the fact that it was my territory they were transgressing and the fact that I was really getting angry with them and I seriously wanted to retaliate and had intentions to kill them -- at least that particular angry crow.  That I did not like; anger towards a bird and an intention to kill. That hurt my self esteem. I was losing my equanimity. I thought of the Buddhist monk I once saw on a mountaintop in the Himalayas.

So I picked up a stick and kept it with me as I took my walk on the terrace and kept on waving it every time I thought that this crow was approaching me from behind. That certainly kept the crows away and barring this particular crow all others started keeping a distance although they did not stop their cacophony. But that became a bit of an unnecessary exercise, swinging my stick which was not very light. So I changed my stick and took up a lighter one and instead of swinging it every time I thought I am being approached by a hostile crow I just held it up above my head so that the crow cannot hit my scalp with its beak. That worked and once or twice the crow got hit by my static stick on its beak. That made me feel a little better as I had got over my aggression and I was only taking an evasive action and not resorting to active aggression with an intention to kill. That made me feel better and restored my self esteem.

As days went by and I continued my walk on the terrace with my light stick in my hand the crows learnt to respect my presence and started keeping their distance although they continue to sing their songs when I appeared but they moved away to nearby trees or distant parapet walls and watched me take my walk no more holding the stick above my head. The old disgruntled crow continued to make his presence felt by flying past every now then but now kept a safe distance knowing full well that it might be hurt if it made an attempt to hurt me. But it continued to be around when I took a walk and made me aware of its presence in a noisy way. In the end the battle of space gradually got over and I got to walk freely on my terrace with one change, a light stick in my hand. The stick actually was from a rose bush branch which I had cut many, many years ago on a hill station but had never used it since. I had kept it safely in my cupboard for a time when I would be old and will carry it in my hand like many old people do. But this was different. May be its time had come. 

Vishnu Mathur.
11th, June, 2013.

PS.
Some more time has passed since then and after a spell of heavy rain the old crow is not to be seen anymore, may be it died and I do not use the stick any more when I take my walk on the terrace and the crows mind their own business and I mind my own. Peace seems to have been restored and we all have our spaces to ourselves.


1st July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment